Located at Jalan Teluk Bahang, Penang, the Tropical Spice Garden, a privately funded agro-tourism project endorsed by the Penang State Government is celebrating it’s 12th year this year. What started as a hobby has now turned into one of Penang’s key attraction as well as a leading botanic institution.
History of Tropical Spice Garden
The Tropical Spice Garden is owned by a British company, Bertam Consolidated Rubber Co. Ltd. and was first worked on as a hobby. The owner appreciates tropical plants and would like to gather specimens from around the world in one location.
The Tropical Spice Garden is spread across 8 acres of land but only 6 acres are used to house 500 living specimens of exotic flora from around the world (and some animals too). The specimens not only include indigenous spices from Malaysia but also from Indonesia, Ecuador, Seychelles, Amazon and Tropical America.
Recently, the privately-funded company has opened the Tropical Spice Garden to the public with the objective to foster understanding of tropical plants. The information on the diverse spices and specimens in the garden can be known through informative guided tours, hands-on cooking classes and nature educational programs.
Penang Tropical Spice Garden is South East Asia’s only Award winning spice garden.
Activities at Tropical Spice Garden
Since the garden is opened to the public, there are many activities available to make the lesson of the garden more interactive and friendly. Open from 9am to 6pm daily, with last admission at 5.15pm, there are many types of activities that can be catered to your needs. The activities includes :
- Garden Audio Tour
- Live Guided Tour
- Corporate Venue Hire Packages that is perfect for off-site meetings
- Half day Package – Charge per head, RM65
- Full day Package – Charge per head, RM85
- Teambuilding where all packages includes a Live Guided Tour & 1 Main Activity (Circuit Games / Cook Off / Sunny Sandy) + Materials + Facilitators + Drinking Water
- Half day Teambuilding, 4 Hours – Charge per head, RM85 (with meal) / RM75 (without meal)
- Full day Teambuilding, 8 Hours – Charge per head, RM130 (with meal) / RM120 (without meal)
- TSG Cooking School where you get to learn to cook authentic Malaysian and international cuisines under the guidance of experienced chefs. (Advance bookings required)
- Venue Hire for your special day – Wedding Packages or Private Functions.
- Slides & Ladders for children to have fun at. A play area resembling the board game which can also be turned into a venue for birthday parties.
- Night Walks – just recently introduced, the Night Walk is mainly to discover nocturnal plants and creatures. With a maximum of 15 guests per walk, the Night Walk is to uncover the mysteries of the rainforest at night. However, the Night Walk activity is only held every 2nd and 4th Saturday of the month and will take up to 2 hours time. Advance booking is required.
- Gift Shop – Spices, Herbs, Oils, Recipes, Local art and Handicrafts and many more can be found here.
- Cafe – Located on a tree-shaded deck, overlooking the sea, it is a place to relax and enjoy the view after a long walk in the gardens.
Tropical Spice Garden Achievements
The Tropical Spice Garden has won Four awards and three of them are as follows :
- Gold Award, Laman Floral Garden Award, The Malaysia International Landscape & Garden Festival 200
- Merit Award, Tourism Malaysia ‘Best Man-Made’ tourism attraction 2005/06
- Best of Penang Outstanding Tourism Award
The garden is now just starting to dabble with tea (lowland tea), coffee and cocoa plantation. We look forward to the results soon.
Tropical Spice Garden Lot 595, Mukim 2, Jalan Teluk Bahang, 11050 Penang, Malaysia. Tel : +604-8811797 Fax : +604-8813794 Website : www.tropicalspicegarden.com