- Romantic (with breathtaking scenery)
- Treatment for Kings & Queens
These were the Top 3 Reasons in my mind when I was searching for the best place for my honeymoon. I mean come on, this was not going to be just another travel escapade. So, even a couple of months before my wedding in January, I was already looking for the best places, hotels and countries (within budget) for our honeymoon. It wasn’t an easy task, there were so many options and plenty different places to go to.
Finally, we chose to go to Singapore and Thailand on a plan to “kill two birds with one stone” – meet my relatives in Singapore (and have some fun) then head to Thailand for our private holiday.
I have been to Phuket, Thailand a couple of times but my husband was yet to experience Phuket first-hand. So we decided to go to Phuket for the “second leg” of our honeymoon, right after Singapore. And guess which resort I picked for our memorable stay in Phuket?
None other than the gorgeous Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay.
Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay
Location and Architecture
If you don’t understand why I am so in love with Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay, take a look at some of these pictures I took and then tell me it wasn’t exceptional!
Located in Kathu, it takes about 15 minutes ride of Tuk Tuk to Patong Beach. Do not confuse Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay with Wyndham Sea Pearl Phuket.
While Wyndham Sea Pearl Phuket is located in Patong and right opposite Patong Beach, Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay is nestled on the edge of a cliff in Kathu, overlooking the Andaman Sea. If you are lucky and you get the sea view room, the beautiful Phuket sunset is to die-for. Honestly.
My husband and I checked in to the resort on 30th January – which is known for it’s high season, with many Europeans coming to tropical countries to get out from the harsh winter. At the same time, it was after the holidays and most of the occupants at the hotel are honeymooners (at least according to the hotel staff).
We arrived at the resort with a taxi we took from the airport. We first passed the hotel security before entering the hotel premises. Outside cars or vehicles are only allowed to alight passengers at the lower lobby. Customers will then be driven to the upper lobby area via the resort’s in-house Toyota Sienta. After checking-in at the upper lobby and given the room key, customers will once again be driven in the in-house vehicle to their respective suites.
Rooms and Amenities
Our suite was the “Suite with Garden/Sea View” and costs about RM1,200+ per night. We decided to stay there for 3 nights.
If you check on the reviews left by other customers online, you’ll see the high ratings and high interests for this resort. Which is why it was always full.
During our stay, most of the occupants were honeymooners – and it’s a no-brainer – with the amazing view, strategic and beautiful setting and superb services.
The moment my husband and I opened the door to our room and were greeted by rose petals on the bed (I did put in a request and informed we were honeymooners), we were giggly like little children. The spacious room has:
- 1 king bed
- Free wifi
- Work Area
- Dual-vanity bathroom
- Stand-alone bathtub
- Separate shower
- TV with USB and HDMI
- Espresso coffee machine
- In-room safe
- Private pool
- Private jacuzzi
- Sun deck
I fell in love with the huge dual-vanity bathroom immediately. I’ve always wanted something like this for my own master bedroom some day. I also loved the many power outlets (universal adapter) and the USB-charging port.
Is it worth it to pay RM1,200+ per night for it? DEFINITELY.
I am so grateful for the huge king sized mattress and the pillows. I’ve always believed that one of the most important things in a resort or hotel are it’s mattress and pillows (amongst others).
- Deluxe Room Ocean View King
- Deluxe Room Ocean View Twin
- Pool Suite Garden View
- Pool Suite Ocean View
- Pool Villa Ocean View
Most of the rooms starts from RM1,000+ per night.
Other Hotel Facilities
Apart from the suite that I truly enjoyed, there are other amenities and services of the resort that I truly appreciate.
- In-house transfer : Since the resort is situated on a cliff, our suite is quite far from the lower lobby and it would take two different elevators of different levels and a little walk in between before we can reach our suite. The transfer helped a lot (especially after a tiring day of outdoor activities).
- Shuttle service : There is an hourly shuttle service via the spacious 10-seater van that transport us to Patong Beach and Jungceylon Mall. Bookings are required beforehand though due to the high demand of transfers.
- Fitness room and fitness class : Even if we just want to hang out at the resort, there are so many activities to be done, including fitness classes or yoga classes at the fitness room overlooking the sea. Imagine working out in a large fitness room overlooking the swimming pool and sunset? And when it’s dark, the fitness room and pool are surrounded with lights so you can still work out and enjoy the view.
- Spa : AMAZING. ‘Nuff said.
- Wi-fi : It never disappoint us.
- ATM : Yes, there is ATM at the resort.
- Activities : Activities includes cooking class (additional charge), Happy Hour (additional charge) and Kids’ Club. There are of course, many places that offers cooking classes in Phuket but if you’re one that hates leaving the resort, the cooking class at the resort would be fun to try out with your partner.
There were so many facilities and amenities at Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay that 3 nights seemed to short a time to experience everything. I wished we had more time to spend indoors rather than spending 2 days outdoors on the beaches of Phuket.
Maybe next time.
Services By Staffs
Thais are generally friendly, with their “Sawadeeka” or “Sawadeekrap” greetings and their smiles. However, not many Thais can speak fluent English and most of the time it leaves me exasperated. This is not the case with staffs at Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay.
The staffs are very helpful, especially those wearing dark blue uniforms. On our second day in Phuket, we missed our shuttle to Patong due to an extended talk we had with their salesperson (to purchase Wyndham Rewards). One of the staff in dark blue uniform called the shuttle to quickly drive us to Patong even though it wasn’t transfer time yet.
I appreciate this quick action by her.
However, since Wyndham Grand Phuket Kalim Bay is huge and the architecture private, we hardly meet other guests or staffs (unless when we need transfer to Patong or to our room) so there’s not much on the hospitality that I can comment on.
Overall, I think I am still smitten with this resort and wouldn’t mind returning to it again someday.